Opportunities are Everywhere
The most successful job seekers take a varied and proactive approach to their search. This goes beyond filling out numerous online applications and waiting for a phone call from a recruiter. View our tips below to help you maximize your job and internship search.
COVID-19 Search Resources
Here is a list of companies currently hiring as of 4-24-20 that the UIC Engineering Career Center has researched. The Career Center team will update this list as often as possible.
LinkedIn also has a great company hiring list – many engineering/computer science positions are listed towards the bottom.
Github has a list of tech positions that is regularly updated.
Get Hired Illinois is a brand new state of Illinois complied list of companies hiring in Illinois and list of virtual career fairs.
For a quick job as you look for more full-time work, apply to be a Contact Tracer for IDPH.
We do want to caution that this list does not contain every company that could be hiring during the pandemic. Please view our list of job/internship search boards below to assist you with your internet search.
A proactive job search could include:
- Identifying target companies and their competitors that interest you.
- Identifying alumni who work at target companies that interest you.
- Identifying and attending networking events regularly.
- Creating profiles and email alerts from various job search sites.
- Volunteering at and attending conferences offered by professional associations that interest you (IISE, ASCE, etc.).
- Building leadership skills by gaining experience in student organizations (engineering, or non-engineering).
- Creating a LinkedIn profile, Handshake profile and resume as early as Freshmen year.
- Attending a career fair with a job secured for the purpose of networking and exploring options for your next job search.
- Following up on applications, career fair visits and networking encounters to increase employment opportunities.
Organize Your Search
Breaking Down Your Search
40% of your time expanding and reaching out to your network, using LinkedIn, networking events, and taking a look at who you know.
30% of your time following up on your applications and your networking efforts, including career-related events you attended.
20% of your time applying to job postings.
10% of your time attending career related events including career fairs, employer site visits and information sessions.