Opportunities are Everywhere
The most successful job seekers take a varied and proactive approach to their search. This goes beyond filling out numerous online applications and waiting for a phone call from a recruiter. View our tips below to help you maximize your job and internship search.
Apply for Jobs & Internships on Handshake!
Complete your profile and apply for open positions to get noticed by recruiters. 80% of students who have a complete profile receive direct messages from a recruiter!
Organize Your Search
Job Search Resources
A proactive job search could include:
- Identifying target companies and their competitors that interest you.
- Identifying alumni who work at target companies that interest you.
- Identifying and attending networking events regularly.
- Creating profiles and email alerts from various job search sites.
- Volunteering at and attending conferences offered by professional associations that interest you (IISE, ASCE, etc.).
- Building leadership skills by gaining experience in student organizations (engineering, or non-engineering).
- Creating a LinkedIn profile, Handshake profile and resume as early as Freshmen year.
- Attending a career fair with a job secured for the purpose of networking and exploring options for your next job search.
- Following up on applications, career fair visits and networking encounters to increase employment opportunities.