Your resume is the first thing employers will read when evaluating you for a job or internship. The format of your resume must be presented professionally and your engineering techniques and skills should be described in detail. Please view our example resumes below, attend our weekly group resume review sessions, schedule a 1:1 resume review appointment, or upload your resume for an online review, in order to ensure your resume is the best it can be.
Key Resume Tips Heading link
Key Resume Tips
- The resume is part of your professional, so it should reflect the same information as your Handshake and LinkedIn profiles.
- Everyone is a critic. At the end of the day, it’s your resume, so you get to decide how to represent yourself. When you receive resume advice, consider the expertise of the person giving it.
- Be consistent with styles (font type, bold-type, italics, usage of periods, underlines, etc.).
- A job/project/internship description should have at least 2 bullet points.
- Action verbs must be in the past tense if you are not currently doing the job/project/internship (e.g. developed vs. develop). Otherwise, use present tense.
- Components of a strong bullet point = Action-oriented verb + detail about what you did + software/hardware/coding languages/technical tools/skills that you used + outcome, result, or impact of this accomplishment
How Can I Get Help With My Resume? Heading link
The online resume review form is now open. Submit your resume here get your resume reviewed by one of our ECC Peer Mentors!
*Please allow 2-3 business days to receive an emailed response with your revised resume*
Attend a Weekly Group Resume Review
Summer 2023 ECC Hours: By Appointment Only. No drop-in hours. Office open Tuesdays and Wednesdays only.
The Engineering Career Center offers in-person drop-in advising during the academic year from 10:00am to 4:00pm, Monday through Friday, except when the ECC office is closed for university holidays.
Drop-in visits are typically 10-15 minutes long, which are suitable for resume reviews and quick questions. They are first come, first served, and subject to advisor availability.
Office location: Science and Engineering Offices (SEO), Suite 800 (8th floor)
851 S. Morgan St., Chicago, IL 60607