The goal of this program is to bring together students and alumni for an exchange of information on education, professionalism, aspirations and ideas. These relationships provide a learning experience for students outside the classroom, where they have a chance to see the opportunities that a professional environment has in store for them.
- Completed a bachelor or graduate degree from the College of Engineering
- Complete the application (BELOW) and webinar orientation program.
- Create or update your LinkedIn profile
- Connecting with your student can occur electronically or in-person. The choice is up to you and your student
- Expected time commitment: connect with your student at least monthly or more if that meets both of your needs and expectations
- Listen to the needs and expectations of your student
- Work with your student to help them develop and establish realistic and obtainable goals
- Offer suggestions and feedback
- Keep your student focused of their progress
- Be committed to serve as a resource to your student
- Encourage your student to explore new areas
- Follow up on commitments made to your student
- Complete the end-of-year evaluation
HOW THE MATCHING PROCESS WILL OCCUR
- The process starts with both Mentors and Students completing applications and orientation programs.
- Students will rank order preferences for the type of mentoring they are seeking, e.g. information on job search strategies, course selection, success on the job, licensing exam prep, goal setting, entrepreneurship, etc.
- The Engineering Career Center will review these preferences and create the best match possible between mentor and student.
- Each pair will receive an email message introducing one another.
- The student will have the responsibility to contact their mentor within one week.
- If a mentor or student decides to withdraw from the program, they must notify the Engineering Career Center as soon as possible.
- If a student or mentor believes the relationship is not working, please notify the Engineering Career Center as soon as possible.