Opportunities are Everywhere!
The most successful job seekers take a varied and proactive approach to their search.
This goes way beyond filling out a bunch online applications and waiting for a phone call from a recruiter.
A proactive job search could include:
- Identifying target companies and their competitors that interest you.
- Identifying alumni who work at target companies that interest you.
- Identifying and attending networking events regularly.
- Creating profiles and email alerts from various job search sites.
- Volunteering at and attending conferences offered by professional associations that interest you (IISE, ASCE, etc.).
- Building leadership skills by gaining experience in student organizations (engineering, or non-engineering).
- Creating a LinkedIn profile, UICcareers.com profile and resume as early as Freshmen year.
- Attending a career fair with a job secured for the purpose of networking and exploring options for your next job search.
- Following up on applications, career fair visits and networking encounters to increase employment opportunities.
Organize Your Search
Breaking Down Your Search
40% of your time expanding and reaching out to your network, using LinkedIn, networking events, and taking a look at who you know.
30% of your time following up on your applications and your networking efforts, including career-related events you attended.
20% of your time applying to job postings.
10% of your time attending career related events including career fairs, employer site visits and information sessions.